As part of our mission, we advocate for patient-led and patient-involved research as well as policies that enable patients, particularly the most marginalized, to access care and live with dignity. Our advocacy spans many areas – from advocating to ensure Long COVID research is methodologically sound and reflective of the patient experience to advocating for disability benefit reform.
Below we list our key previous and ongoing forms of advocacy, as well as related publications and documents. For questions or to collaborate, please email email@example.com or Lisa McCorkell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Definitions, Outcomes, and Guidelines
- PLRC contributed to the World Health Organization (WHO) Post-COVID Conditions Clinical Case Definition
- PLRC and Body Politic provide regular feedback on the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s webpages on Long COVID
- PLRC and Body Politic meet monthly with the CDC’s Post-COVID Conditions Unit
- PLRC and Body Politic provided feedback on the UK’s National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Long COVID Guidelines
- PLRC and Body Politic are members of the AAPM&R PASC Collaborative, providing input during monthly meetings and on consensus guidance statements
- Member of the Disability Economic Justice Collaborative
- Co-Founder Lisa McCorkell co-authored a brief on how to improve SNAP and TANF in the context of Long COVID
- Co-Founder Lisa McCorkell and Body Politic board member Alison Sbrana were panelists at the the October 6, 2022 National Academy of Social Insurance webinar “Disability Policy Today and Tomorrow: Lessons from the Pandemic and Implications of Long COVID”
- Co-Founder Lisa McCorkell was a panelist at the October 24, 2022 The Century Foundation’s National Disability Employment Awareness Month event with Secretary of Commerce Raimondo
- In partnership with #MEAction, PLRC submitted a public comment as a response to the request for information on the Current Population Survey Disability Supplement 2024, highlighting the changes necessary to ensure the supplement is inclusive of chronically ill workers.
- On June 10, 2022, with support from several ME organizations, PLRC submitted a proposal to the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) to add an ICD code for post-exertional malaise/post-exertional symptom exacerbation. Due to the proposal being lost in the NCHS email inbox, the proposal was not able to be considered for the September 2022 meeting, but will be considered for the March 2023 meeting.
- In April 2021, PLRC submitted a comment regarding the proposed ICD-10-CM code U09.9, Post COVID-19 Condition, expressing support for the implementation of the code as well as recommendations for improvements. As of October 1, 2021, the U09.9 code is active.
- In partnership with #MEAction California chapter, PLRC has been advocating for the establishment of Centers of Excellence in California. Work on this is ongoing.
- PLRC regularly presents primers on Long COVID and associated conditions, with talks at Harvard, OHSU, and dozens of others
- PLRC advocated to add Long COVID prevalence questions to the US Census Bureau Household Pulse Survey. In May 2022, PLRC submitted a public comment expressing support of inclusion of questions and recommended improvements. The recommendations for the prevalence questions were adopted, and results from the survey are found on the NCHS Long COVID website. Recommendations to add questions on impact on work were not adopted.
- In partnership with other members of the Long COVID Strategy Circle, PLRC developed a list of recommendations for the US National Research Action Plan, which includes recommendations for research priorities, design, and oversight. The final National Research Action Plan on Long COVID was published in August 2022.
- Several PLRC members serve as patient representatives for the US NIH RECOVER Initiative, bringing the patient experience to study design decisions.
- In November 2021, PLRC issued an open letter regarding RECOVER, calling for meaningful patient engagement and more inclusion of post-viral illness experts.
- PLRC’s work was cited in the announcement of the NIH RECOVER Initiative.
United States Congress and White House
- On July 19, 2022, PLRC Co-Founder Hannah Davis testified to the US House of Representatives Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis
- On January 28, 2022, PLRC participated in a roundtable on Long COVID hosted by Representative Ayanna Pressley
- In June 2021, PLRC presented to the White House COVID-19 Health Equity Task Force. The final recommendations and implementation plan were released in October 2021.
- On April 28, 2021, PLRC Co-Founder Lisa McCorkell testified to the US House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on Health
- PLRC supports the CARE for Long COVID Act and the TREAT Long COVID Act