PLRC believes that transparency in research leads to more trust and collaboration, which brings us to solutions faster. We commit to sharing what we have learned, the initiatives we are working on, and the costs of getting things done.
Funding distribution from Balvi
|Description||Category||Fixed Costs||Total Costs|
|Long COVID Research Fund||Patient-Directed Fund||$2,035,000||$2,035,000|
|LMIC Quality of Life Study||Research||$233,750||$233,750|
|Machine Learning Phenotyping||Research||$142,725||$142,725|
|Quarterly Patient-Generated Research Hypotheses||Communications||$105,600||$105,600|
|Biomed Fund (Additional funding from Balvi)*||Research||$3,000,000||$3,000,000|
Our April 2022 funding from Balvi.io are allocated as follows:
- $2,003,500: Establishment of a Patient-Led Research Fund: These funds will be directed towards providing grants to six Long COVID biomedical research projects, awarded by a panel of patient-researchers with expertise in post-viral illnesses. Eligible projects will include biomedical research, diagnostic devices, prevalence studies, and clinical trials. Uniquely, each grant will include patient engagement from PLRC at the study design, recruitment, analysis, and writing points of the research study.
- $382,250: Reinfection Study: PLRC will analyze the impact of COVID reinfections on A) people with Long COVID, B) people who did not develop Long COVID following initial infection but did after subsequent infections, and C) people who have had COVID multiple times and have not developed Long COVID.
- $233,750: Low-middle Income Country Long COVID Quality of Life Study: PLRC will research the quality of life of people with Long COVID in a select low-middle income country.
- $142,725: Long COVID Phenotyping: PLRC will identify Long COVID subtypes (clusters of characteristics and their progression) that may require different forms of treatment.
- $105,600: Quarterly Publication of Patient-Generated Research Hypotheses: PLRC will produce a quarterly publication of patient-generated hypotheses shared in the public domain for Long COVID researchers to pursue.
- $85,490: Operational Costs: Will be used to cover costs like software, licenses, administrative costs, as well as support of Body Politic.
- $46,685: Expected Taxes: Will be used to cover costs of taxes.
July 11, 2022: Patient-Led Research Fund Panel
We are excited to announce our Patient-Led Research Fund Panel, who will be guiding us through putting together a Request for Proposals and evaluating the submitted proposals for research into Long COVID. This group has a wealth of expertise – both in their skilled backgrounds and their lived experience. See Patient-Led Research Fund‘s page for more information.
Have a question or want to support us? Get in touch.